Wednesday, September 13, 2017

A Malt?

My wife surprised me with a malt from Dairy Queen.
Or rather, she tried to surprise me with a malt from Dairy Queen.
The uber-competent staff did not put it in the bag with Marshall's split (a banana split where he eats most but the banana and wife gets the rest).
She was hurting and I couldn't make her go out again to pick it up (I was working). When she called the store, they said it was right there on the counter and she could come back and pick it up (mmmm... warm malt). I suggested delivery. They implied it was her fault for not picking it up.

I try not to complain about stuff like this. It used to happen to me on a daily basis. It stopped and I'm good with that.  But I wanted a $@&$ing malt.

I ask for nothing. And that's what I get  - my new mantra

Yeah, I know.. don't cry over spilt malt.
It's only a malt, you whiny girl.
I'll give you something to whine about.

While I grumbled, the only one at my pity party, Wife talked on the phone. To the Doggie Oncologist. When she was done, she told me to stop what I was doing and listen.

Uh-oh.

The Incredibly Expensive Test, that supplements the Normally Expensive Test, to confirm exactly the type of cancer, told her that it was not a particularly nasty melanoma... it was a particularly nasty something else. This could not be treated with the shots they were going to use. There were a few choices, none of which were going to stop the disease.

We decided on chemotherapy every few weeks for a few months. He has 6-9 months with the chemo, assuming he tolerates it (which he should).

I like the other cancer better... the one where he had 3 years... his normal lifespan, more or less.

I'm really beside myself here... which is not a pretty sight. When they say Best Friend, he's it. We adopted him after somebody threw him out, at one year old. We bonded like no other rescue. One of the saddest things in life is that our pets have such short lifespans. He is, in effect, our child.

Life is fucking cruel to the poor little guy. And his parents.
I'm supposed to be grateful for the time we had. It just doesn't feel that way now.


No comments:

Post a Comment