Thursday, February 8, 2024

Giant Magical Bunnies

I was having a tough time of it at work. I kept damn near falling asleep. I asked friends, family, and even the doctors, but no one had any ideas. I am nothing if not ugly. In fact, I am nothing if not scientific - I love to take stuff apart. When I was very little, the family was out visiting, and I would take apart their vacuums. Whether or not this affects my feelings about vacuums lately, I cannot say. Where was I? Oh yeah, ugly.

So I monitored my sleepiness. My sleep amount or schedule hadn't changed (the less sleep I get, the easier it is to get up). It took a while, but I realized I had a start on the problem when I joked that I stopped falling over when work was done for the day. A-HA! But it wasn't every day.

It finally hit me, like yet another derailing Amtrak train, that I was falling asleep in meetings. I watched this closely (with my eyes closed and my mic muted), and it turned out to be the problem. As soon as a meeting started, I'd start getting tired. It's not like I'd get progressively tired as the meeting went on... within the first sentence I'd start nodding off. Even 'good morning' would start me off to 'good evening, time to go to bed.' To make things worse, if I crossed my legs, I was more likely to get tired. The doctors were at a loss (after they stopped laughing).

With the Science done, it was time to look for the cure. I tried the normal stuff, like a 10th cup of coffee, pinching myself, having someone else pinching myself, hitting myself with a hammer, all for naught. I got creative, asking Boss to be excused from meetings, with predictable results. It took some effort, but I got a doctor's note, excusing me from meetings. This worked no better than when I got a doctor's note to keep an android phone, as opposed to the new iPhone. My employer is anything but flexible.  

So here I am, in limbo. It's all I can do to keep from snoring.
Suggestions?

The meetings will continue until morale improves  


 

Denmark orders schools to stop sending student data to Google

Told you so. If your student uses a Chromebook, their data is going to Google. Gmail too.


Chinese hackers have lurked in some US infrastructure systems for ‘at least five years’

Told you so. They're in the power and all sorts of other systems. Nothing good will come of this.


MS-DOS and Windows 3.11 still run train dashboards at German railway — company listed admin job for 30-year-old operating system

Perhaps it's running Boeing 737s too. Don't. Get. On. The. Train. They obviously don't care about security.

 

Senator Wiener Introduces Groundbreaking Bills to Slash California Road Deaths Epidemic

Mandate electronic speed controls in cars. The planet of California is a silly place and you should not go there.


 Wanna know how you're surveilled?

be prepared to be shaken and stirred 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment