Sunday, September 15, 2019

This is the Edge. You've gone over me.

There has been a breakthrough in quantum teleportation.
Worth a read, even if just for the possibilities.

Commenting on Brexit, one of the people involved referred to Brexit as a Schroedinger situation, where people want to leave and stay at the same time. You don't hear this from US politicians.

What is wrong with the UK?
They just passed stringent censorship laws to make things 'safe' online.
Where are the free speech advocates?
I won't be surprised if some sites refuse to exist in the UK. This is what happened when GDPR hit: you'd see notices about the site not being available in those countries.



RIP

Ric Ocasek, singer from The Cars. (75)
Not a fan, but still...
Eliot Easton, however.....




Dear lefty

  • How many republicans does it take to change a light bulb?
  • None. Nothing will get done and they'll blame the democrats.
  • feel free to switch the parties around


I learned something today: right after Roe v Wade, a congressman introduced a bill to exempt medical personnel from performing abortions if it violated their religion or morals. It passed.  There is a suit pending from a nurse, 'forced' to assist in an abortion. Well, she had the right to walk out, but felt she would make too much of a big deal if she didn't, so she's suing. I guess one of the great things about our system is that anyone can sue anyone for anything (except if excepted by Congress). Prediction: she will win the suit, but damages will be limited because she didn't walk out when she had the chance.



  • It's late. Things are quiet. I can hear myself think. 
  • I preferred when it was early, loud, and I couldn't hear myself think.




For a guy who has always loved technology, and taking it apart, I sure hate technology. Turns out it's not just me.

I needed to have a conference with 2 family members... no problem... most phones allow you to do this. Not that the phones make it easy... I had to look it up because things don't come with manuals anymore. It's pretty easy to do (after reading how). Like most things, it wasn't obvious and the controls don't appear onscreen until you're in a call.

One ringy dingy, two ringy dingy... Party 2 answers. I call Party 3, who naturally doesn't answer. He calls back and I hit the Magic Merge Button, which hooks us all up. Well, sorta. Party 3 was popping in and out and sounded like he was inside a mariachi band. This is fine if you like Mariachi, but not so much if you like being able to talk. Technology Fail.

Party 2 uses a service where people can call in and be connected. So I do, and for some reason, it worked. My surprise was short-lived, when it simply disconnected. Upon reconnecting, Party 2 said he had to set the call up five times before we could connect (and get disconnected). Party 3 called in and we finally had a chat, because the Mariachi band was on break. When they came back, it kept breaking through the silence on his end. The Mariachi actually spoke more than he did, which was annoying (even if you like Mariachi). His phone connection was absolute crap too.

C'mon, people... it's 2019. Why are we still having so much trouble with ($&@ing cell phones? I joke that it's new technology and they need another 25 years to work out the bugs, but this is really sad. We also pay an absolutely ridiculous amount of money for this 'quality' coverage, compared to other countries.

Whoever said advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic was right. And needs to be shot.




Meanwhile, at my job, I got up and walked to someone else's desk to say hello. I regret that I have no pictures to post. On the positive side, you don't have to look at me (or my pictures). My coworkers all look like Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell. And Oprah, during the 'large years.'



  • Opinion: US can slash healthcare costs 75% - interesting.


In my search for news, I spent a few minutes on Fox.
I watched Lindsay Graham go on about how the dems hate Trump. He scapegoated them for everything. Then he did a brief Warhawk speech on how al Queda and Taleban are threatening our security in Afghanistan.

Graham slipped and told two truths: the dems have Trump Derangement Syndrome and the Warhawks are even worse than anyone imagined.

We didn't get where we are because of one party: It's all a choreographed dance. They are at war.. with US.





Horrors Near Home

The picky niece has a new boyfriend. Good for her, she's tough.
He's black, she's white.
This isn't an issue for anyone except the grandfather, Sergeant Hitler. The patriarch has a bit of a racist streak, amongst others.
To everyone's shock and surprise, the Sergeant really liked the guy. Relief fell upon the masses.  [This is what's called a setup.] Here's a list of stuff we are trying to avoid saying when meeting the boyfriend:

  1. So you're the black guy...
  2. Niece - Is it true?
  3. Hey, we brought a case of grape soda.
  4. Are there black Jewish girls?
  5. Don't mind him - that's a dunce cap. Really.



  • Why do I like Ron Paul? I wind up agreeing with most of what he says.




So I'm sitting there, computing Important Things, then get up to get a soda. When I come back, there's a piece of donut by the computer. I am absolutely sure it was not there when I left. The dog is asleep on the couch. So how did the donut appear? I heard no noise.

Either the donut spontaneously appeared or the dog is a little sneakier than I thought. Hey- where is the dog getting donuts and why isn't she eating them?




  • No thanks, I'd rather be Trump's social media manager.




Feel-Good Story of the Week

There's store video of some thug going into a Philly cell phone store and pulling out his gun. The counter guy pulls out his legal concealed gun and shoots the guy. No charges filed (at present).



  • Johnson and Johnson has been fined for misleading marketing of opioids in Oklahoma. Johnson and Johnson is reeling from the historic $475 million fine. They claim assault over this most severe wrist-slapping.
  • Shuddering from thoughts of a drop in profits, the other pharmaceutical corporations are seeking a cap on damages. No one capped their sales...



Yeah, I tend to miss Popular Stuff. I didn't know Christina Aguilara is a Disney alumnus. Now we have to wonder how long til her inevitable breakdown and what it will look like. Shaving heads has been done, as has drugs, something that looks like multiple personalities, 'outrageous' behavior, being largely nude in public, and countless other stunts.



Heroes of the Stupid

After finding that some people fall for satire online, researchers at Ohio State University are advocating for the flagging of satirical articles so that people do not get confused. They claim falling for satire articles is a "problem for democracy."    Sick society.


Man fights off subway attacker in wild video as bystanders get out their cameras and record. No one helped.





SJW Strikes

[twitter]
"It's official, we have a 4 year old daughter! Waylon is now Willow. Took a LOT of paperwork to make the gender transition.    Child Abuse 101


FB bans Irish girl's account after saying her name is a racial slur.


A college professor was 'retired' from his job for things like social media posts about hitting the president with a baseball bat. This is unprecedented (being fired, not threatening harm to the president).









No comments:

Post a Comment