Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Not Tonight - I'm Shampooing my Gutters

Ah, what would we do without a throwback to the days when a housewife didn't have to work and could concentrate on what was important - raising the kids spying on the neighbors. As with almost everything, there's a Monty Python sketch about it. Two 'women' had a complete room dedicated to surveilling the neighbors. They had telescopes and all sorts of monitors to watch them.

I only mention this because Wife is home and seems to have developed a sense of what the neighbors are doing. This morning, in bed, she told me Bob doesn't normally leave this early in the morning, and that sound is Emily, Bob's wife, leaving the driveway, in her Escalade. She thinks it's wonderful that little Jeannie is now old enough to drive and her parents bought her a little Ford Focus.

HUH? 

I live in the same neighborhood (most of the time) and never noticed any of this. I work from home, so I should have seen something of what's happening. I notice when Bob is working because his truck isn't parked where it always does. After some serious time spent figuring this out (2.74 seconds, 3.02 grams Canadian), I realized that I just don't care. It makes no difference in my life when Bob leaves for work. Ok, that's not entirely true: Bob leaves the same minute every day, which is about 30 seconds before my alarm goes off, so if I hear Bob leave, I can't sleep for more than 30 seconds. As we all know, 30 seconds is Prime Sleep Time<tm> and not to be wasted. If I happen to be dreaming at that moment, I get up at normal time, completely confused as to where I am and why there's a dog sharing my pillow.

One of our gay couples had one of those 'love' signs on their lawn and some idiot stole it.  They asked Wife if she saw anything or would she keep an eye out. You don't mess with neighbors, so Wife dedicated some of her extra monitoring equipment to keeping the sign in place. She has a 29" monitor strictly pointed at the sign, as well as motion, heat, and sound detectors. 


Sometimes you wanna go - where everybody knows your name 

Bob, from across the street, caught me during one of my sporadic trips outside and just wanted to let me know it had snowed that week.  Ha ha, funny man. Two days later, Wife said I was turning really white. I hoped it was just cosmetic, as opposed to health. I've always been pasty white. They say I get my tan from the refrigerator light.


N.S.A. Buys Americans’ Internet Data Without Warrants, Letter Says

Of course they do. Why put out all that money on spying hardware when you can buy it from Faceyspaces. Your tax dollars (and liberties) at work.

 

Inside a Global Phone Spy Tool Monitoring Billions

the better to sell you stuff and sell your info, said an advertising agency 


iPhone apps abuse iOS push notifications to collect user data

iPhone goes NSA 


Religious 'Nones' are now the largest single group in the U.S.

 That's right - become a None.   NOTE: not a nun

Nones include atheists, agnostics, and others not sporting an 'official' religion. So you followers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster are Nones too

 

Amazon Ring stops letting police request footage in Neighbors app after outcry

 after outcry for years. Note: police can still request video.


 Boeing continues to have a bad day, this time via a nose wheel coming off before takeoff.


AI-generated puffy pontiff image inspires new warning from Pope Francis

Out of all possible things one can do with AI, some wag put him in a puffy coat. As one would expect, Pope was Not Amused.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment