Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Xubuntu - Ubuntu 18.04

The other night I got the option to update my Xubuntu installation to the new 18.04, codenamed Bionic Beaver.

How in the universe could Ubuntu leave me an opening as wide as Bionic Beaver? It's like shooting fish in a barrel. Like hitting the broad side of the barn with a small thermonuclear device. Like spotting SJWs at a Black Lives Matter rally.

If you're already running Ubuntu, or a flavor of it (Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Miley Cyrus linux), your system should let you know when the upgrade is available, unless you turned that off. Don't turn that off.

If you want to install a fresh copy, you head on over to the respective websites and download or torrent a copy. It's DVD size, so it may take some time if you're torrenting. Don't ever let anyone tell you that torrenting is for obtaining stolen copies of intellectual property. This is a perfect example of why it's not.

In any case, depending on hard drive space, weather, and desire, it should take about 20 minutes. I say it should because it generally does. It could have taken longer, but I have the attention span of a pregnant gnat and looked at the clock for the starting time and never looked at finish time. The upgrade process is improved over previous installs because it didn't ask me questions. I've been using linux for a loooong time but some of those questions... well... there might not be obvious answers, but there are suggestions.

In fact, it was going so smoothly, I was distracted by some thought or blinkey light and almost missed the end. It came like a train into a car some idiot parked on the tracks. Why do they do stuff like this? I didn't get a "that's all, folks" - instead I got "Installation halted", then some random text, indicating that there was something dangerously wrong with my keychain. Now I'm the kind of guy who always knows where his keychain (and towel) is; in this case, my pocket. I fished it out, wondering how an operating system knew anything at all about my keychain, but I decided to play along. Upon careful examination, the keychain was in precisely the position it was in earlier in the day and back to last month.

Reading closely, I figured out it was talking about the operating system's keychain (yes, Veruca, the OS has a keychain) and that the install had stopped. This was rather a shame, as upgrades go flawlessly. It was an even bigger shame, as I had no idea if Bald Beaver was installed or not. BAH.

[spoiler] It was.


The Review

If you came here for the review or careful listing of changes and improvements and whether I like them or not, you obviously haven't been reading this blog too long.

So I rebooted and it worked.

The first thing I noticed was the Stupid Wallpaper on my second screen. This is a normal part of upgrading and if you specify the second screen's wallpaper, you won't have to deal with this ever again.  Yes, I'm a substance over style guy and the first major improvement listed on the blogs was new wallpaper. Wow. I'll bet it's much faster and more efficient, but they're saving that as a surprise for after we install it.

So you'll understand that I wasn't exactly jumping for joy when I noticed that the buttons were a little different on VLC. I didn't touch a setting, so I could see if anything else popped up.

[spoiler]  It didn't.

The system starts up quickly, perhaps a little faster than before. The system runs fine. There are no problems. I checked both keychains: the one in my pocket was fine, but there was very little I could do about the one in the computer. I could not exchange them, as I'd have no way to get in the house or drive the car.

During the warmup to install, it threatened to take my Kodi.
It will take my Kodi from my cold, dead hands, right next to my chocolate.
Just in case, I made a backup of Kodi. After the install. everything was still there, so it was an empty threat (except the new addons are showing up in my home directory).

Everything runs exactly as it did before: smoothly.
It hasn't burped or squealed one time in the few days I've been using it.


I give it three thumbs up.




STANDARD DISCLAIMER
I heavily modified the desktop, so it always looks the same after upgrades; thus I never see 'graphic improvements' everyone talks about. The screen remains the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment