Monday, October 24, 2011

Bands Better Off Without Original Members

The fine folks over at Guitar Squid just posted a piece called Ten Bands Better Off Without an Original Member.  It comes complete with videos, generally of the former variety, with the original member(s).

It was simply crying out for comment.

9. Stevie Ray Vaughan:

Now let's face it... I've heard Lou Ann Barton and Lou Ann ain't no SRV.  Her departure put Stevie right up front, where he belonged.  
Damn helicopter pilot.


7. Fleetwood Mac:

This is where the alarm bells started to go off.  Some would say they are still ringing.  I only discovered Fleetwood Mac when Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham joined. They certainly contributed immense amounts and were definite full members.  The tunes were great, as was the pharmaceutical comsumption.  And ass anyone who was there took note,  Stevie was a sight for male eyes.  
And female too: she launched a million fashion devotees.

Now that I've seriously discovered the original Fleetwood Mac, I can't agree with this site's assertion.  I'd feel much better if they were simply split into two separate bands, as this is essentially what they were.  Peter Green is a legend (and deservedly so).  I think the jury is still out as to whether the illness preceeded the drugs or vice-versa.


6. Bon Jovi:

Cough... cough... cough... 
Who cares.


4. Deep Purple:

Let's face it: as a fan looking backward and trying to figure them out, it appears as though you'd see a random new band member every time you caught the act.  Never a band to hire a slouch, many talented folks breezed through Purple and it's practically a new band if you see them today.


2. Megadeth:

Don't know a lot about these guys.  Don't hear a lot of their music.  I know I enjoyed the video from the site.  It appears as though Marty Friedman is one of those lefties who writes with his entire wrist cramped around the pen (look at the way he holds the pick).  I understand Marty is no longer with the band.  
The tune is as far and as heavy as I go without running to turn off the track.


Go to the site and check out the rest.  It's always an interesting read at Guitar Squid.


And don't forget to check out the most recent Joe Walsh interview.  New album coming February 2012.  Unfortunately I just missed him at the Borgata in New Jersey.   I can't even afford to drive by the Borgata.

5 comments:

  1. Best ever line up for Deep Purple was the gang from the Machine Head era:

    Ian Gillan – vocals, harmonica
    Ritchie Blackmore – guitars
    Roger Glover – bass
    Ian Paice – drums, percussion
    Jon Lord – keyboards

    That's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it! ;)

    ~Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I'd have to agree with you (even considering my status as a Steve Morse fan).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big Tommy Bolin ( https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Tommy_Bolin ) fan, but still that Machine Head line up was their acme, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a shame we lost him so young. He was headed into Jeff Beck territory, I think...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed. Twenty-five is just a child for crissakes. So many have been lost to us either by war, drugs, or other misadventures. Sad. :(

    Anyway, on a cheerier note... HAPPY HALLOWEEN to you, the wife, and the furry ones. Have a great weekend!

    ~Eric

    ReplyDelete