Thursday, July 22, 2021

Street Thumpin', Rental Pumpin'

 Your love is like  skin scrapes on concrete


It's been quiet around the neighborhood, so we've been waiting for the other shoe.

In fact, Waiting for the Other Shoe would be a great blog name.

Naturally the other shoe arrived, in the form of the Neighborhood Mover Slamming Thing from last time. It has the flat platform that it launches at the ground with great force. This causes the houses on the block to shake each time. It knocks pictures off the wall and moves furniture to different floors. Many of the neighbors like where the furniture wound up and are keeping it there. Since we live in the No Design Ability House, any movement is an improvement. The couch on the roof may have to be overridden, but we'll live with it for a week or so.

It must be a new physical year, or fiscal year, depending on pronunciation. There are ripped up roads all over the place. Don't tell anybody, but the improvements are nothing but ripped up roads, for the fun of it. The streets department has a wicked sense of humor. Different departments have a Noise Contest, judged by City Hall, when they can be bothered to come into work. They bring out a noise level meter and the loudest machine wins. This led to a little cheating this time, with some crews using fireworks and explosives under the machines. One used gas tanks. A fun time was had by all. Except the people that live in the houses. It was even louder than a Who concert or a Boeing 787 taking off, assuming it managed to pass inspection.

But wait!!!!!  The trash truck is here, in bold competition with the Great Bang Truck.

So naturally I had to get on the phone with Support four times. I was 90 minutes 'late' for work.



Today I identify as  mixed gender pronouns. 


  • it's not like the band I just saw on tv is put together for the show, but the left handed bass player is strumming the bass like a guitar


CAR(s)

The collision center continues to move forward with the repair. The repair cost is more than I paid for most of my old cars.

The rental squad decides to charge you random numbers randomly. They like to keep their customers on their toes. If you no like, dey come around you house, capiche?

We still haven't figured out how to turn down the tsunami of air conditioning or pair it with BlueTooth. But it starts every time, and we're used to settling. Strangely, there is no USB port.


  • Duckduckgo, the search engine that doesn't track you, now has an email service that removes trackers. You can get a free @duck.com address now.


Biden blasts social media after Facebook stonewalls admin over vaccine misinformation

When the president, or any member of government, tells a site or person what they can and can't say, it's a violation of the First Amendment. Not that Joe gives a rip about the First Amendment. Or the Second.


  • How your personal data is being scraped from social media

Finding 'Grace': Murder, DNA and ancestry
Great story about solving an old murder
Reminding you that the ancestry sites are used by the authorities (and marketers)



  • Reminder from the lDC [lefty Disease Control] that if you are on birth control pills and taking antibiotics, use a different form of birth control.  The antibiotics make the pills less potent and you won't like the result.


I could have been in the Olympics..
No, really.
There's just no event for napping.



  • Less Than 7% of the Human Genome Is Actually Uniquely Human, Study Finds
  • you really are a slug


15,000-year-old viruses discovered in Tibetan glacier ice

Fauci says we must all be vaccinated against every one 



This is America
A Texas man cited 7 times for grass over the 12" limit opened fire on landscapers and police who were there to enforce the limit.

Fortunately no one was hit in the 4 hour SWAT standoff.
The man was arrested and had on some sort of hazmat suit

It's only a matter of time til this is me, right? Without the gun, of course.


But seriously, folks... why are there grass height laws, and why do police come out to enforce them?
Another example of government in action: using force 




I got an overnight envelope that required returning.
I went online to schedule the pickup.
This was my first mistake.
There's nowhere to schedule a pickup.
I can make an account if I like. I can schedule babysitting or auto repair, but not a pickup.
In the Good Olde Days<tm>, you called a number or scheduled online.
These are not the Good Olde Days<tm> 
The website is very easy to navigate, so long as you're not trying to schedule a pickup.
There's a HELP function, which connects me to a virtual assistant. This is not actually a human, nor can you find one, possibly at the entire worldwide, well-known service. This is a bot, configured with the help of Artificial Stupidity, so if you enter "schedule pickup," it responds with 13 suggestions, none of which are correct. Now I'd think scheduling a pickup is roughly 50% of their business, so not being able to find it seems... I dunno.... weird?
I continue with HELP, trying "pickup envelope," which gives me another 13 suggestions with the word 'pickup' in them, but - SURPRISE! - nothing helpful. Even if it were to make a horrible mistake and include helpful information, you can't click it. So it will say "schedule envelope pickup" but you can't go anywhere from there. This website was clearly designed to be user-hostile.
I could schedule a ground pickup. How am I supposed to know what a ground pickup is? Well, the truck runs on the ground, no? But this is an envelope, which may not be ground.
So the best way to deal with this is to ignore it. Unfortunately if I ignore it, I won't win the Idiot's Clearing House offer of 15 cents a week for life. So I gotta get this in.
I finally figured GO and scheduled a ground pickup, as my house is on the ground, firmly, I hope. It told me to wait a few (years), then check the status page. WHAT status page? There is NO status page, as there is no schedule envelope pickup page. I think they're just messing with us now. 
So I may or may not have scheduled a pickup - I have no way of knowing. Guess I'll have to wait for the imaginary status page to indicate I have an imaginary pickup on some imaginary day this week.
It's not like they can't slip me in - I don't get out much, so they can show up whenever they want. In fact, they can take it from me when they make one of their 3 daily deliveries from the Shoe Delivery Network for Wife. Why didn't I think of that in the first place?  Nah, they'd just tell me I have to schedule online. My street might become a very dangerous place for these trucks if I can't get this envelope out. Of course if I stopped the shoe deliveries, my house might become a very dangerous place for me.



TOKYO (AP) — The chiropractor for the American women’s wrestling team has apologized after comparing Olympic COVID-19 protocols to Nazi Germany in a social media post.

We're offended so were automatically right.



Monsignor Jeffrey Burrill, former general secretary of the U.S. bishops’ conference, announced his resignation Tuesday, after The Pillar found evidence the priest engaged in serial sexual misconduct, while he held a critical oversight role in the Catholic Church’s response to the recent spate of sexual abuse and misconduct scandals.

They are a criminal organization and should be investigated as such.



  • Sperm Bank Holds Contest to Find Out Who Has the Best Jizz
  • Had to turn away 100 women and 13 men - swallowers not allowed as judges


The new Flying AIDS (D) has affected vaccinated Capitol staffers in DC


Former surgeon general: CDC should fix ‘premature, misinterpreted’ mask guidance
We. Have. No. Idea.




We had a power outage the other night.
Power outages are ugly because they cut off Important Services: air conditioning and internet. We looked at each other and said, "WHERE'S THE INTERNET?" 
This started a cascading effect, namely, no pr0n and no napping, because it was close to 90 and ridiculously humid. Just sitting there was an activity that would cover you in sweat and grunge. If we were going to be sweaty and grungy, that was not the activity we wanted to cause it.

We 'found' the internet, in that we could use our phones to hook other stuff into.
Power outages have met the future with electrical provider websites;  you can look at the outage and get an estimate of how long it will continue. PECO has gotten into the future, that's fer sure. After a few hours, they were 'aware of an outage in the area, that affected 1200 houses.'  Ummmm..... no. This went for as far as the eye could see in all directions. Some of the traffic lights were out too. Businesses were open, but you'd never know it to look at them. Six hours later, PECO was still aware there was a problem. No estimates. Only 1200 houses without power were closer to 47,000. Small math error. 

So after 12 hours, electricity returned, around 4am. We were offering prayers of thanks to the air conditioner gods.

Wife got another 'great deal,' this time on a car battery-sized brick to power things in an outage. I wanted to know how they claimed it would run a fridge, because it was pretty light. To its credit, it charged my phone. I couldn't quite get across that this device was not the same thing as a unit that would power all the computers during an outage. I'm sure the commercial was awesome. THE NEW POWER 9000. GOT A POWER OUTAGE? THIS IS THE UNIT FOR YOU. IT WILL POWER YOUR PHONE. IT WILL POWER YOUR LAPTOP. IT WILL POWER YOUR CAR. IT WILL POWER YOUR PHONE. IT WILL POWER YOUR ENTIRE KITCHEN AND THE REST OF THE HOUSE. IT WILL POWER YOUR PHONE. BUT WAIT!!!!!

So I have to get a UPS, a real device to power the computers. This will be expensive, because it has the word Battery in it. Everything with the word battery is expensive. Even a battery holder is expensive. I don't know how, but I have a little Texas in me: bigger is better. I like big cars and big 17" laptops. If you're bored during a power outage, run a 17" laptop off battery and watch the gauge go down. Use it as a counting game for children. I lowered the brightness by 50% and it didn't matter.

TIP: get a tablet. Set it up to get your email and with your bookmarks. Use it during outages.
Or, you know, have family time. Or some sex. Try reading in the dark. Count salt shakers. Count salt.




here's something you don't see often..


No comments:

Post a Comment