Saturday, December 10, 2022

Genghis Khan - Misunderstood?

 

Your love is like  the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor


Does this actually exist?

The Munsters - Original Motion picture soundtrack

What would you do with it if you had a copy?  (extra points for extreme violence)


Today I identify as  Mrs. Ghengis Khan


RIP Kirstie Alley (71) - cancer


If you haven't done so already, update Chrome. It's full of potential problems lately.


I gave in the other day and pulled up Google Earth. My ancestors are rolling in their graves.

It made sense of some backwards-ass directions someone gave me. But I did it on someone else's computer, so I didn't dirty mine.


TSA to expand facial recognition across America

Isn't it bad enough they gave them guns?

The  picture-taking is not mandatory and will be deleted after 2 years. It will not be shared with other agencies.

Prediction Time:

  1. the data will leak, probably from a hack
  2. the data will NOT be deleted, ever
  3. the data will be shared with other agencies

Gunfire at electrical grid kills power for 45,000 in North Carolina

Funny, just yesterday, the gunfire was at several stations. During a press conference, it was asked if this was the work of the Proud Boys (described as a right wing hate group), in protest of a drag show. Regardless of who it was, it could take a week to get power back. It was done intentionally, knowing the fallout. Regardless of the fact authorities don't know who did it, I'm sure they're certain it's not terrorism. The feds are involved now.

Now, let's drift from power grid outages due to gunfire to power grid outages due to crappy software, attached to the internet, with little to no thought given to security. This is a much larger problem, and the first place an enemy will hit during an attack. If you could cause serious electrical grid problems from your home in, let's say, China; why wouldn't you? Rest assured, it's all been probed.



It's Never Sunny in Philadelphia 

Yes, we're back to THAT weather. I have to admit, the Hot Season was great; much sun!
Unfortunately we're now in the Cold Season. We only have 2 seasons, perhaps by state fiat - the way we like to do things here. WARNING: if you have Seasonal Affective Disorder, do NOT move to the Philly area, or many places east coast. It's flippin' miserable. In the Cold Season, the weather forecasters have it easy... it's either gray or gray with rain. They can forecast it with dice or darts, which may be the same way they do it any other time. 

Let me give you a preview:

Monday: Mostly cloudy
Tuesday: Mostly cloudy, with some rain
Wednesday: Partially sunny (5 minutes) then mostly cloudy
Thursday: Thundershowers. Not just gray: very gray
Friday: Very cloudy. You won't be able to see your hand in front of your face
Weekend: 90% chance of clouds. 78% chance of rain, so you weekend warriors should stay inside. Unless you like this weather. hahahaha.


Here's one for everybody from germophobes to your average shopper:

---> Study: Self-service checkouts covered in fecal matter, bacteria

Yeah, but look at all the money  the stores are saving by firing all the cashiers...


I knew it was dangerous, but like every time danger is about, I run to it, head first.
Some say I have no fear. Others say I have no sense
Why? I had to get the laptop prepared to go to Outer Mongolia to be fixed. Somewhere they grow corn and blonde women, I forget.
Most of the prep consisted of removing the solid state hard drives. They literally slip in and out. Unfortunately, in order to get to them, you have to get past the cover of the laptop. This thing has screws in places you can't find, and if you don't get every single one of them, you're not getting in (like a virgin). They point in different directions, hide under the battery, and there's always one hiding in plain sight. This one looked like it was holding in a connector, but it wasn't. The manufacturer calls it the Decoy Screw<tm>. It's put there to foil the entry of people who don't belong inside a laptop. Like me.

In spite of the Decoy Screw and the 37 other normal screws, I somehow managed to get in. I was thinking I should get a gold star for my performance. After all, I've only been inside 3 times in 2 years. In actuality, I should have given up and shipped it with the hard drives in. Why do I remove the drives? Do you think I want people in Cornfed, Idaho to see my hamster pr0n? I'd either shut down the entire state or make it the capital of hamster pr0n. Don't forget - the state with the most pr0n going in is Utah, the religious state that the Mormons run.

Pulling the drives and putting the case back together was not a problem, until it was
What are you supposed to do with any repair over $100? 
Find a nice clean space.  To do this, I'd have to leave the house. And the state.
Lay down white paper, in case anything drops.  You haven't seen my desk, have you?
Make sure the space is large enough to work in.   You haven't seen my desk, have you?
Handle tools carefully.   I screw with my shaky hand.
Put the screws back very carefully.   See, this is where it all goes to hell. I knew I had to do all these things and knew why I had to. I even knew why I didn't; because I'm a fool in a hurry and must think I'm invincible. So I put in the first screw, which promptly slipped and fell on the floor. This is precisely why I needed to be careful. If anything falls on the floor, forget it. Whether it's a tiny screw or a small truck, I'm not going to find it ever again. So I very carefully installed another screw, only shaking a little. And that screw promptly followed the first one, into the abyss of the floor. The funny thing was that I never saw it jump. I was watching closely the entire time: one minute holding the screw, and the next moment totally without a screw (like my sex life). I guess I should be happy that I didn't have extra parts this time. 

Now I have to get it triple bubble-wrapped, in a box inside of a box, with all sorts of stickers and labels on it. I will have to do this at a store, because if Wife saw that much bubble-wrap, it would all be over that moment. I had to explain that if you pop every bubble, the wrap loses its protective properties, like a condom. Every now and then I buy a few feet and give it to her as a present. Hours of activity for the whole family. What a pair of cheap dates we are.

Shipping tip: do not bother putting FRAGILE stickers on a box. FRAGILE translates to 'throw me' in box handler-ese. You have to learn to think on your feet. Put LITHIUM ION BATTERY stickers on it. Everyone knows lithium ion batteries have a tendency to self-ignite. Your box will be handled with the care reserved for infants. This is the kind of information you get here at ThermionicEmissions.


Wow - there's a band called The Postal Service
    • They're always late for the gig.
    • They cost too much.
    • They damage the place by throwing things around
All that's left to see is whether the USPS sues, because someone might not be able to tell the difference between a humongous incompetent mail force and a rock band.


U.S. to spend $1.5 billion to jumpstart alternatives to Huawei

Once again, President Giveaway creates money where there is none and gives it away to industry!
Meh - it's only your children's money. And grandchildren...

No comments:

Post a Comment