Wednesday, February 29, 2012

RIP Davy Jones

DEVELOPING:
Davy Jones (The Monkees) died today at 66 from a heart attack.

$*#@

Dammit.
I love the Monkees.  They might be partially responsible for me playing guitar.  I love the show and recently started watching it again in reruns on broadcast tv.  The tunes and the humor still stand.

LINKS

My local NBC affiliate has a piece from 2009.

Antenna TV will be running a Monkees marathon on Saturday, featuring their movie Head, as well as each episode of the television show.

CNN

FOX

E! Online

Wikipedia

The Monkees should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

USA Today

Rolling Stone - the Cute One

From the other Monkees:


Band mate *Peter Tork* said on Facebook, "It is with great sadness that I reflect on the sudden passing of my long-time friend and fellow-adventurer, David Jones. His talent will be much missed; his gifts will be with us always. My deepest sympathy to *Jessica *and the rest of his family. Adios, to the Manchester Cowboy. Peace and love, Peter T."

"I am in a state of shock," band mate *Micky Dolenz *said in a statement. "Davy and I grew up together and shared in the unique success of what became The Monkees phenomena. The time we worked together and had together is something I'll never forget. He was the brother I never had and this leaves a gigantic hole in my heart. The memories have and will last a lifetime. My condolences go out to his family."



FROM MIKE:

All the lovely people. Where do they all come from?



So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and

sympathy, I don't know what to say, except my sincere thank

you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings.



But let's not get ahead of ourselves here.



While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange,

this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the

mortal experience that we know almost nothing about. I am of

the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a

certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don't

exactly know what happens in these times, there is an

ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond

the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity.



That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness

that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won't

abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing

within the animating life that insures existence. I will

think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite

of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane.



David's spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the

lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the

healing times, that were created for so many, including us.



I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels.




Perhaps now Davy can share a laugh with Hendrix about their ill-fated tour.

1 comment: