Sunday, February 17, 2019

The House of Waffles

Stop laughing.

We found ourselves at one of the above-mentioned restaurants, having breakfast at 8pm (because breakfast tastes better after dinner). The first thing we noticed was that the place was empty. Very empty.. like the Food Police just left.

In spite of this, we got seated quickly.

The next thing we noticed was the large volume of cold air hitting us, as if someone figured out how to make an eight foot solid window open. The waitress asked if we wanted to move to a different spot which wasn't as cold. Nice lady.  I went from shivering with my coat on to not shivering with my coat on.  It turns out the air conditioning was on and the controls locked. This is Great Business Practice. Mid-February, near the mountains; crank up the a/c.

Oddly enough, I don't complain much in restaurants. You really have to go out of your way to make my food miserable, or make me wait an hour for it, before I'll say anything. But here's a restaurant (stay with me and stop laughing) where people are sitting there, eating with heavy coats on. And no one can turn off the a/c. Perhaps the owner is menopausal.

The food arrived. When I say the food arrived, I mean everything but mine.
She eventually brought mine over and asked if it was too dark. Ummmm... I have to admit I've never heard that question before. Well, chocolate tends to be dark, so no problem.

Problem.

There's no chocolate.
I ordered a chocolate chip waffle. This being Waffle House, I didn't expect an issue. You know... ordering a waffle at Waffle House. The overcooked waffle, missing its chocolate chips. If I think about this any further, my head will hurt even more than it does (and the voices will get louder and angrier).

While we're on the topic, there's no coffee either. I've never been in food service, but I've ordered an awful lot of it. The coffee comes first. Honestly.   As it turned out, the extreme lack of coffee was actually a gift, which we figured out when it arrived. It would be rude to compare the taste to an ashtray, so I'll just say it tasted a lot less like a caramel-colored ashtray when two or six creamers were installed. Unfortunately this pushed the level of the coffee way up, causing a small physics issue, wherein the coffee sought a new place for itself and found it,  on the table, my plate, and the greater part of my pants. So technically, I wet my pants.

The waffle was, as you'd imagine, dark and a bit more stiff than I like. Unfortunately, so were the hash browns. They had the effect of being one solid, crunchy piece of potato. I am obviously not a purist, but I have never had bad Waffle House food or service.  Just so no one complains that I never say anything positive, the orange juice was exactly as described and in no way messed up, served at the proper temperature, and nicely aerated.  I am not complaining about the waitress.

Hours later, our stomachs and intestines remain unpunctured. We will give the place another chance, although I worry that if we go in the summer, the heat will be locked on.








No comments:

Post a Comment