Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Captivity - Day 12

The sun was out when I got up this morning: it was a confusing time for all of us.
This also indicates it will rain tonight, because it always rains when I have to take out the trash, or take in the cans.


It's beyond ironic that I have a weekly Wednesday commitment and have to leave the house. I suspect that won't happen tonight. I'm on something like week 7 of not leaving the house, except for work. I'm not lying when I say corona hasn't changed things much. I trained for this. I can do it. Easier than most others. My commitment had gone virtual, so it took me half the day to undo my security so I could use the camera. I got all set and discovered that the other side had an issue and that was it. It's a good thing this isn't a doctor's visit, or I'd be dead. It's funny that cell phones have been around forever and they're still not right.


Whenever I feel I've worked too much, I realize my boss just sent me a message at 1am.


Wife made a particularly good corned beef and cabbage the other day. We're trying to figure out whether this makes her a good Irishwoman or Jewishwoman. I believe the line is the cabbage: if it's there, it's Irish. If the corned beef is on rye, it's Jewish.


Another bad thing about working from home is that there's no social interaction with coworkers. Some would say this is a good thing. I miss coming up with the strangest irrelevant response for any question. I always miss women, but there are about 4 of them, so I can't miss them too much. One is the snorer. I can take snoring, but not from 250lb bruisers with the social skills of Godzilla. Good thing I married an attractive one and snoring is entirely my job. I heard that my snoring was so bad the other night, I could hire myself out as a bed vibrator. Not the good kind.

When I started there, there were literally no pens. Or paper. To this day, nothing has changed. I guess they figure if you do your job on a computer, you don't need pens or paper. I am among the lucky ones: I got a chair. And locking cabinets. There is more locked space than stuff to put in it. If I had a pen, I'd lock it up. It took months to get my computer, because they were rushing it. I just found out I can work from home, but I can't print from home. So if I understand this correctly. I do my work, then drive to work, hopefully in a hazmat suit, and print it there, then drive back home, and burn the hazmat suit. Sounds efficient.



I read a little more about Idiot Governor's stay-at-home order.
Stay at home unless you're going food shopping. Or to the doctor. Or taking food to a relative. Or caring for a relative. Or driving a truck. I went to get guitar shopping in there, but the guitar shops are closed. You can't even go to a mall. Fast food is drive-thru, making me wonder if it's more difficult to screw up your order. And when they do screw up your order, you have to go back to the 247 car line to get things screwed up differently.


===========================


Check on your friends, neighbors, and family. Does anybody need anything?
Use technology and do video chats. Watch a movie 'together'. Eat together. Social media is good in limited quantities: otherwise it's toxic. Learn things online. I hear you can 'improve' yourself by learning. Pick up a new language - human or computer. Learn how to use your computer for more than a social media gateway. Learn how to secure your computer and other gear.

Once again: Don't buy into the panic, check news once a day at most. Remain level or even positive. You will get through this.


Illegitimi non carborundum - don't let the bastards get you down

No comments:

Post a Comment